Thank you to those who signed up to be a Room Parent this year! Assignments are listed.
The success of Walnut Acres Elementary School relies largely with the dedication of volunteers in and around the school. Room Parents are key components of the volunteer team. The Room Parent position is the lead contact for your child’s classroom and the main source of communication between the PFC, your teacher, and the parents in your class.
Room Parent Duties
- Confirm the class roster with parents
- On Back-to-School Night, you and/or your teacher will provide a classroom volunteer sign-up sheet(s) for parents to indicate their preference and availability to help out in class. You'll use this information to create a class volunteer schedule.
- Create and distribute your classroom's volunteer schedule
- Coordinate classroom parties and events
- Support class and school events throughout the year by communicating event details and soliciting volunteers when needed
- Keep class parents informed of activities happening in the classroom in partnership with the teacher
- Keep classroom budget and inform parents of balances at least twice per year
- Send informational emails from the school to parents on your class roster when needed
For detailed information about being a room parent, please read the Room Parent Guidebook:
Room Parent Guidebook 2013
If you are a room parent, please click below for sample documents and templates:
Room Parent Sample Documents
For more information about Room Parents, contact
For the safety of our children, ALL school volunteers are required to be fingerprinted and successfully pass a TB test.
You must have completed a TB test that is less than 60 days old or have a TB test less than 4 years old on file with MDUSD. If you require a new or updated TB test, contact your physician or go to one the following labs on a drop-in basis to complete the TB test (let the lab know it is for MDUSD - the cost is approximately $20). Remember to plan for the 48 hour test reading requirement (you MUST return to the lab within 24 hours for the test reading).
Muir Diablo Labs
Concord: 2231 Galaxy Court (925)685-7744
Mon-Fri from 7a-7p, Sat 9a-2p, No TB after 2pm on Thursdays
Walnut Creek: 1981: N. Broadway, Suite 190 (925)932-7715
If you are unclear of your fingerprinting or TB status, please check in with Walnut Acres office.
- Pick up a Fingerprint Form from the office or download here. For the form line stating “fieldtrip/classroom”, please fill in Walnut Acres School and your volunteer involvement at the school.
- Please remember to bring $32 in cash (exact change) or money order – no personal checks or credit cards.
- Remember, you MUST bring the Fingerprint Form and your TB test results to your appointment. MDUSD Personnel Office (James W. Dent Education Center) is located at 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord.